Skip to content
1-888-762-8736(M-F 8:00am-5:00pm CST)
1-877-218-7353(M-F 8:00am-5:00pm CST)
href="http://www.trendmicro.com/us/enterprise/index.html" id="ENT-overview-test2" title="SEE ALL ENTERPRISE SOLUTIONS">Enterprise Overview
In 2012, we predicted that the number of malicious and high-risk Android™ apps would reach 1 million by the end of 2013. Unsurprisingly, our prediction came true with three months to spare. Considering that the first Android malware came out in 2010 and that it took them only three years to reach the 1-million mark highlight the extremely rapid pace cybercriminals churn out malicious and high-risk apps.
2013 also showed that the mobile threat landscape is slowly moving beyond apps. We saw infection and attack chains that didn’t solely rely on malicious app installation. We also saw mobile ads promote fake sites and scams. Bad guys also used spear-phishing emails and PC malware to spread mobile malware. Even the malicious apps changed. Apart from app stores, vulnerabilities increasingly became a launchpad for app installation and modification. If anything, the 2013 mobile threat landscape proved just how many tools cybercriminals had in their arsenal.
Android Malware Detections
The booming Android market can only be outpaced by the development of Android threats. By the end of 2013, we detected more than 1.3 million malicious and high-risk Android apps, which significantly increased from our 350,000 samples in 2012.
Figure 1: Number of malicious and high-risk app detections in 2013
Around 27% of the detected apps were classified as “high-risk apps”; the remaining 73%) were classified as “malware.”
Figure 2: Top malware families as of 2013
Figure 3: Top high-risk app families as of 2013
Premium service abusers remained the most common malicious app type, comprising around 53% of all samples. As we said in “Malicious and High-Risk Android Apps Hit 1 Million: Where Do We Go from Here?,” premium service abusers subscribe devices to high-cost services without their users’ consent. Cybercriminals may favor this mobile malware type because they’re easy to create and are less risky to use than others. The other top malware types include data stealers, malicious downloaders, and backdoors.
Figure 4: Top mobile threat type distribution in 2013
Connect with us on
| | | |