Note: To fully remove all associated malware, perform the clean solutions for TROJ_DLOAD.HZ.
Identifying the Malware Files
- Scan your computer with your Trend Micro antivirus product.
- Note the path and file name of all files detected as WORM_NUWAR.APJ.
Trend Micro customers need to download the latest virus pattern file before scanning their computer. Other users can use Housecall, the Trend Micro online threat scanner.
Important Windows ME/XP Cleaning Instructions
Users running Windows ME and XP must disable System Restore to allow full scanning of infected computers.
Users running other Windows versions can proceed with the succeeding solution set(s).
Terminating the Malware Program
This procedure terminates the running malware process. You will need the name(s) of the file(s) detected earlier.
If the process you are looking for is not in the list displayed by Task Manager, proceed to the succeeding solution set.
- Open Windows Task Manager.
• On Windows 98 and ME, press
• On Windows NT, 2000, XP, and Server 2003, press
CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, then click the Processes tab.
- In the list of running programs*, locate the malware file(s) detected earlier.
- Select one of the detected files, then press either the End Task or the End Process button, depending on the version of Windows on your computer.
- Do the same for all detected malware files in the list of running processes.
- To check if the malware process has been terminated, close Task Manager, and then open it again.
- Close Task Manager.
On computers running Windows 98 and ME, Windows Task Manager may not
show certain processes. You can use a third party process viewer such as Process Explorer
to terminate the malware process.
On computers running all Windows platforms, if the process you are looking for is not in the list displayed by Task Manager or Process Explorer, continue with the next solution procedure, noting additional instructions. If the malware process is in the list displayed by either Task Manager or Process Explorer, but you are unable to terminate it, restart your computer in safe mode.
Deleting the Malware File(s)
- Right-click Start then click Search... or Find..., depending on the version of Windows you are running.
- In the Named input box, type:
(Note: %Windows% is the Windows folder, which is usually C:\Windows or C:\WINNT.)
- In the Look In drop-down list, select the drive that contains Windows, then press Enter.
- Once located, select the file then press SHIFT+DELETE.
Removing Autostart Entries from the Registry
This solution deletes/modifies registry keys/entries added/modified by this malware. Before performing the steps below, make sure you know how to back up the registry and how to restore it if a problem occurs. Refer to this Microsoft article for more information about modifying your computer's registry.
- Open Registry Editor. Click Start>Run, type REGEDIT, then press Enter.
- In the left panel, double-click the following:
- In the right panel, locate and delete the entry:
herjek = "%Windows%\herjek.exe"
- Close Registry Editor.
Running Trend Micro Antivirus
If you are currently running in safe mode, please restart your computer normally before performing the following solution.
Scan your computer with Trend Micro antivirus and delete files detected as
WORM_NUWAR.APJ and TROJ_DLOAD.HZ. To do this, Trend Micro customers must download the latest virus pattern file and scan their computer. Other Internet users can use HouseCall, the Trend Micro online virus scanner.
Trend Micro offers best-of-breed antivirus and content-security solutions for your
small and medium business,
or home PC.